In today’s society, an emphasis is placed on cramming in as much work ( be it, school work, your paid job, house work, child rearing, or hobbies) as possible into a 24hr period. It is viewed as “cool” to get by on as little sleep as possible. It it even seen as a badge of honor if you can function on 3-4 hours of sleep. People who are able to get through their day on little sleep, and most likely a coffee drip, are viewed as tough, hardworking, determined, committed and successful.
The list of positive adjectives goes on and on, but rarely do you hear much negative said. However, could more accurate descriptions of these people look more like; unhealthy, likely to die young, short tempered, less intelligent, overweight, depressed, forgetful, and rapidly aging?
A lack of sleep increases your risk of heart disease, heart attack, heart failure, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, stroke and diabetes.
Do I have your attention yet?
Good! Let’s talk about why 8-10 hours of sleep will help us be the super moms, dads, grandparents, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, employees, bosses, friends and neighbors that we are all striving to be when we initially take on these insane workloads.
- It changes the way you process glucose; decreasing the risk of diabetes
- Increases fertility by regulating the secretion of hormones.
- Boosts mental wellbeing. It was found that people who suffer from depression or anxiety slept for less than 6 hours.
- You’ll have an easier time slimming down. Studies show that people who sleep more than 7 hrs weigh less than people who do not. This is believed to be caused by a reduced production of chemicals that make you feel full and an increased production of chemicals that make you feel hungry.
- Proper sleep boosts your immune system
As athletes we LOVE sleep because this is the time where our muscles are rebuilding and growing. It is IMPOSSIBLE to make the changes we are looking for without getting the proper amount of sleep. This means the workouts, the diets, the sweat, the tears, the sacrifices are all for nothing unless we are sleeping properly.
Sorry to drop this bomb on you and leave, but it’s time for us to get some sleep.
Please respond in the comments by telling us one thing you will rearrange or change in your schedule to allow you get in bed sooner and able to sleep 8-10 hrs.